Holy Cross Cathedral description and photos - Russia - Siberia: Omsk

Table of contents:

Holy Cross Cathedral description and photos - Russia - Siberia: Omsk
Holy Cross Cathedral description and photos - Russia - Siberia: Omsk

Video: Holy Cross Cathedral description and photos - Russia - Siberia: Omsk

Video: Holy Cross Cathedral description and photos - Russia - Siberia: Omsk
Video: OMSK - Life Giving Cross Cathedral 2024, November
Anonim
Holy Cross Cathedral
Holy Cross Cathedral

Description of the attraction

The Cathedral of the Exaltation of the Cross is the second oldest Orthodox church in Omsk, preserved in the city since pre-revolutionary times. The temple is located in the central part of the city at the intersection of three streets - Tretyakovskaya, Tarskaya and Rabinovich. The initiator of the construction of the cathedral in 1858 was the Governor-General of Western Siberia and the Military Nakaznaya Ataman of the Siberian Cossack Army G. H. Gasford.

The temple was located in a poor quarter in the north of the city and was built with donations from local residents, mainly G. Andreev and his wife. The church was built by the city architect E. Ezet. The main construction work was completed by 1867. Crosses were installed on the heads of the temple. At the same time, due to the unexpected death of G. Andreev, finishing work was delayed for another three years.

The ceremony of solemn consecration of the one-altar stone church took place in September 1870. The ceremony of consecration was conducted by the righteous Stefan of Omsk. In February 1896, the consecration of the second throne took place - in the name of the icon of the Mother of God "Satisfy my sorrows." In 1891, a parish school for girls was opened at the church.

In 1920, all church property was nationalized. In 1936, the local authorities decided to demolish the church, but it was miraculously saved. In November 1943, the temple was returned to the Orthodox community. In 1951, a third chapel was built in the cathedral - in honor of the Prophet Elijah.

In 1946 the cathedral received the status of a cathedral. In 1989, two side-chapels were added to the building of the cathedral. The author of this project was the architect V. A. Baranov. As a result of this extension, the harmony of the original appearance of the cathedral was disturbed. At the same time, the interiors of the temple were updated, the wall paintings were varnished.

In 1998, an administrative building was built on the territory adjacent to the cathedral, which covered its northern facade.

Photo

Recommended: