Church of St. Nicholas description and photo - Crimea: Sevastopol

Table of contents:

Church of St. Nicholas description and photo - Crimea: Sevastopol
Church of St. Nicholas description and photo - Crimea: Sevastopol

Video: Church of St. Nicholas description and photo - Crimea: Sevastopol

Video: Church of St. Nicholas description and photo - Crimea: Sevastopol
Video: Крым: Храм-Маяк Николая Чудотворца/Crimea: St Nicholas Church-Lighthouse 2024, September
Anonim
Church of St. Nicholas
Church of St. Nicholas

Description of the attraction

The Church of St. Nicholas is the tombstone of the heroically killed soldiers of the First Defense of the Hero City of Sevastopol, built in 1870 at the memorial fraternal cemetery. It so happened that the burial took place in one grave for several hundred people, without magnificent funeral ceremonies.

The decision on the need to build the Church of St. Nicholas was made shortly after the end of the war. Sevastopol residents donated funds for the construction of the temple in order to somehow pay tribute to the soldiers who died on this land, who saved their lives at their own cost. The construction of the shrine was carried out from 1856 to 1870. Today, the decoration of the temple differs significantly from the original, but the spiritual thread of time and generations has not been cut off to this day.

By the decree of Alexander II, Prince V. I. Vasilchikov, the architect A. A. Avdeev took up the work to authorize the construction of the memorial. The 27-meter temple of a truncated pyramidal shape was supposed to be visible from all sides of Sevastopol. The shape was chosen precisely: the pyramid has a strong emotional wave of influence and is a symbol of the greatness of the soul over the mortal body. The temple is crowned with a belfry and a 7, 5-meter granite cross. Once the cross was made of igneous rock as a symbol of irrepressible fortitude and eternity. However, he broke down and cracked. It was replaced by a stone analogue, but it was not destined to last long either. In 1941, German troops took up a combat position on the hill. The airstrike and shelling practically destroyed the structure. The relic of Sevastopol was restored by the whole country. It was decided to make the cross from granite, a material more durable than diorite.

At the base of the temple is a stable plinth, minted with lead from bullets found at the battlefield. The walls are covered with marble. Dark slabs keep the memory of the dead. The names of divisions and regiments are engraved on them. The image of the "Blessing Savior" meets the guests over the powerful bronze doors. The four arches inside the room are positioned to create the visualization of the cross. The walls are hung with 943 memorial plaques with the names of the dead officers.

There is a legend that the memorial is classified secret underground communications, but there is no documentary confirmation of this yet. The construction was carried out confidentially, without strangers and under round-the-clock military guard. The then St. Nicholas Church was a purely garrison property, its flock consisted exclusively of military personnel. And in the twentieth century. it was transferred to the balance of the engineering department and its doors were opened to everyone. Now it is a favorite place for sailors, employees and simply believers who honor and remember the feat of a simple soldier.

Photo

Recommended: