Description of the attraction
The Church of the Holy Trinity is located on the opposite bank of the Salzach River from the Old Town, about 600 meters from the Salzburg Cathedral. It was built in the Baroque style in the years 1694-1702.
The Church of the Holy Trinity is an imposing building, more reminiscent of a monumental palace, although its appearance cannot be called particularly luxurious. It was erected following the example of the Church of St. Agnes, standing in Piazza Navona in Rome, and is distinguished by an outstanding facade - a huge dark dome flanked by two towers, completed only in 1818 after a major city fire. In general, the Church of the Holy Trinity resembles the similarly structured Karlskirche church in Vienna, both externally and internally. Inside it is an elongated oval.
Especially worth noting is the amazing painting of the church dome, which is the apotheosis of church art of the Baroque era. These frescoes were painted by the young artist Johann-Michael Rottmeier and depict the Coronation of the Blessed Virgin Mary. The work was completed in 1700. In the same year, the main altar of the temple was completed, presented in the form of a sculptural group, symbolizing the Trinity. The side altars were completed a little later, in 1702. Especially worth noting are the huge statues of angels, made in human height, as well as the ancient miraculous image of the Virgin Mary, dating back to the 16th century. Among other interior details, it is worth noting the luxurious stucco molding and the graceful reliquary of St. Ernest, made already in 1959. The relics of this early Christian martyr were solemnly delivered to the Church of the Holy Trinity even before its completion - in 1700.