Description of the attraction
The Church of Olga Equal of the Apostles is located in the western part of the city of Zheleznovodsk, on Marx Street, 34. The church, immersed in greenery, stands on a hill, in the middle of a residential area and at the same time away from the hustle and bustle, in peace and quiet.
At the beginning of 1900. on this site there was a small Orthodox prayer house, rebuilt in 1940. due to dilapidation. Since this building still could not accommodate all the believers, after a while it was decided to dismantle the old temple and build a larger church in its place. The construction of the temple lasted from 1988 to 1989 with funds donated by parishioners of the entire Baku and Stavropol diocese. With great difficulty, the church was nevertheless built. The temple was consecrated in 1989 in honor of the Holy Equal-to-the-Apostles Grand Duchess Olga.
Then the church passed from hand to hand, going through many trials. In 1992, she was transferred under the leadership of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia. Three years later (1995) - the Russian Orthodox Autonomous Church. In 2006, according to the court, the temple again came under the control of the Russian Orthodox Church of the Moscow Patriarchate.
The revival of parish life began with repair and restoration work. In the brick-built church, the roof was repaired, the darkened domes were replaced, the old premises were re-equipped, and the courtyard was equipped. The interior of the church is rather restrained. By mid-2008, the temple was decorated with a strikingly beautiful iconostasis made in the technique of colored enamel by the hands of a local craftsman; there were also windows made of stained-glass multi-colored glass. The church has icons, paintings, utensils necessary for the services. By 2012, the Church of Olga Equal to the Apostles was painted white again.
On a small plot of the temple there are: a small baptismal church, a Sunday school, a church shop, a kitchen, a dining room and a wonderful belfry under a small graceful arch.