Description of the attraction
The Dutch Tower, called Hollanderturm in German, was built in 1256 for defensive purposes, and was part of the city's third defensive belt. Later, in 1345, a fourth defensive belt was built, which reduced the importance of the tower from a military point of view, and from 1530 the tower was allowed to be used for civilian purposes, and it practically lost its original purpose. For many years it was occupied by the workshops of blacksmiths and weapons-makers.
Outwardly, the tower resembles a rounded structure of light colors. The top is made in the half-timbered style and decorated with bright geraniums installed in the windows. Its massiveness leaves an imprint on the memory of tourists, especially if you compare its size with the width of the Bernese streets.
The tower got its name due to the fact that it was from it that the Bernese officers left for service in Holland. But this is not its first and not its only name. The previous one, mentioned before 1896, was Raucherthurm, which means "The Smoking Tower". It was called so because both before leaving for the service and after returning, the officers liked to hide in it from the eyes of strangers, gathering on the top floor, and smoke for their pleasure, and smoking in Bern was prohibited at that time. Most often this happened after returning from service, where there was no such prohibition, and therefore such a pernicious habit was acquired.
The tower was last reconstructed in 1939.