Leopoldskron Palace (Schloss Leopoldskron) description and photos - Austria: Salzburg (city)

Table of contents:

Leopoldskron Palace (Schloss Leopoldskron) description and photos - Austria: Salzburg (city)
Leopoldskron Palace (Schloss Leopoldskron) description and photos - Austria: Salzburg (city)

Video: Leopoldskron Palace (Schloss Leopoldskron) description and photos - Austria: Salzburg (city)

Video: Leopoldskron Palace (Schloss Leopoldskron) description and photos - Austria: Salzburg (city)
Video: Hotel Schloss Leopoldskron Salzburg Austria April 2018 2024, June
Anonim
Leopoldskron Palace
Leopoldskron Palace

Description of the attraction

Leopoldskron Palace is one of the most notable Rococo palaces. Located in the southern part of Salzburg on the lake.

The construction of the palace was carried out by order of Archbishop Leopold Anton Firmian, who also built Klessheim Castle. The palace was intended for the family of the archbishop, construction work was carried out by the architect Bernard Pater Stewart, who was a Benedictine monk from Bavaria, and also a teacher of mathematics at the University of Salzburg.

Leopoldskron was built on three floors with an octagonal tower in the center. The paintings in the hall and in the chapel were created by Andreas Rensi in 1740. The painting on the ceiling of the chapel was done by Franz Anton Ebner in 1740 and depicts "The Wedding of Atalanta". The castle was slightly rebuilt in the classicist style in 1763. During the renovation, the tower was removed, and the third floor and roof were completely redone.

After the death of the archbishop in 1744, his heart was buried in the palace chapel, while the rest of his body was placed in the Salzburg Cathedral. The palace remained in the possession of the Firmian family until 1837, even after the death of Count Lactanza in 1786. Later, the palace was sold to the owner of the local shooting gallery, George Zeer.

The palace had several owners in the 19th century (including a banker and two waiters who wanted to use it as a hotel). In 1918, the palace was bought by the famous director Max Reinhardt, one of the founders of the Salburg Festival.

With the help of local artisans, Reinhardt spent twenty years renovating and decorating the palace. In addition to repairing the stairs, the Great Hall, the Marble Hall, he created a library and a Venetian room. It used the entire building for theatrical performances and as a meeting place for writers, actors, composers and designers from all over the world.

While Reinhardt was in Hollywood during World War II, the palace was confiscated as a national treasure. Today Leopoldskron is closed to the public, it is privately owned.

Photo

Recommended: