Description of the attraction
The Verbilov Monastery is located near Lake Verbilov, which is five versts from the village of Balashovo and 20 versts from the station of the village of Pustoshka. The famous monastery was founded in 1600 by the governor Joseph Korsak. Since 1844, the monastery is considered non-standard, and since 1896 it was transformed from a male monastery into a female one. The monastery has two churches equipped with side-altars. The cathedral church was named after the Protection of the Most Holy Theotokos and was founded in 1796. This community monastery has a parish school and an icon painting workshop. The Verbilov monastery is run by the abbess.
Verbilovsky Monastery arose on the territory once occupied by the Poles, which happened after the death of Ivan the Terrible. At that time, there was a theological school at the monastery, in which Catholic priests were trained.
The territory of the monastery consisted of an array of forest, which is why it got its name - Verbilovskaya dacha, and stretched from the famous village of Verbilovo to the village of Stayki. The monastery grounds were located on the land that belonged to a Polish prince named Korsak. After some time, the territory adjacent to the monastery passed into the possession of another prince from Poland - Oginsky.
Prince Oginsky at one time transferred all his lands, which belonged to the Verbilovsky Monastery, into the possession of the already Orthodox Verbilovsky Monastery, which was founded in the village of Verbilovo. The educated Orthodox monastery was made for men, which owned not only Verbilovskaya dacha, but also its own mill.
The Verbilov Monastery functioned until the October Revolution. In the fall of 1918, the monastery was closed. In the 1930s, schools for peasant youth began to open in the village, in which it was necessary to complete a seven-year education. In 1931, the Alol primary school was closed and turned into a secondary school, located in the building of a former monastery. During the Great Patriotic War, the German headquarters was located on the second floor in the building of the Verbil Monastery, and German stables were located on the first floor. A German warehouse was also housed in the church.
In 1948, the monastery church was dismantled, and another one-story building was built from its logs, in which several group rooms, an assembly hall and a sewing room were located. A small building intended for a workshop was also built from the proceeds. After some time, a vegetable storehouse was built, during the construction of which a certain underground passage was discovered, which led from the building of the monastery itself to a small lake. The layout of the underground passage was made of bricks, and its vault was semicircular, the height of which reached one and a half meters. The walls were covered with terrible slime, because for a very long time it had not been used in any way.
At the moment, only a few brick buildings have survived to our time, which, most likely, represented the abbot's and nursing buildings, built in the late 19th - early 20th centuries. Today, the building of the former monastery houses health care institutions.